Saturday, May 30, 2020

SMAS Student Okran Je's Letter to Governor Newsom

With the COVID pandemic, we have many challenges - including economic problems. The Legislature and the Governor must agree on a new budget for our new situation. This is the time when we need to tell them what we need and want in the new budget.
San Mateo Adult School Student Okran Je shares her letter on this topic to Governor Newsom:

Dear Governor Gavin Newsom,

My name is Okran Je, from Japan. I am a student at San Mateo Adult School in California.

I deeply appreciate your support to protect us from being affected by COVID 19.

The reason why I am writing this letter is because there is one crucial concern that the budget of the adult education might be cut. It has a lot to do with my family’s life. Because of the pandemic, we are required to stay at home. So how to be connected with others and how not to be isolated, which sometimes might cause mental health problems, has drastically changed. Thanks to the online classes that have been provided by the great teachers of the school, even during this period, I don’t necessarily have to give up my goal that I will improve my English skills and eventually get a job in this country. Attending the online classes and feeling that I am a part of the community makes me so confident and think that I could overcome all the difficulties there are. Also, as a mother of a four years old child, I need to be mentally stable and be able to communicate with others in English with ease so that I can support my family. I am sure that it will lead us to contribute to society as a family.

Adult Education is so important for those of us who don’t have enough English skills to make our futures bright in this country. It will definitely let us have a chance to return the favor to society. 

Please understand our situations and don’t cut the budget. Thank you very much for your support of our school and Adult Education.

Sincerely,


Okran Je

Foster City, CA

Alt Text:  Multi-Color Ring of People


No comments: