Saturday, May 30, 2020

SMAS Student Haruka Isobe Chen's Letter to Governor Newsom

With the COVID pandemic, we have many challenges - including economic problems. The Legislature and the Governor must agree on a new budget for our new situation. This is the time when we need to tell them what we need and want in the new budget.

San Mateo Adult School Student Haruka Isobe Chen shares her letter on this topic to Governor Newsom:

Dear Governor Newsom

My name is Haruka Isobe Chen, and I am a student at San Mateo Adult School who resides in your district. I am from Japan. I moved to California last year to get married to my husband who is a citizen of the United States.

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to give my gratitude to you for representing the state.

The reason I am writing this letter is to request that the state maintain similar levels of funding for our school. The school is essential for us to build a foundation in English, understand American culture and learn how to apply for jobs. The school is not only teaching those skills, but it also gives us opportunities to make friends, be involved with local volunteer societies and be confident about ourselves so that we can expand our potential to contribute to the community.

I understand this pandemic is making our lives extremely difficult. COVID19 is affecting my ability to start volunteering at the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA, and applying for jobs. Even in this critical situation, San Mateo Adult school continues providing us classes via zoom and binds all of us together in this crisis. They never stopped helping us to try and achieve our goals.

When I moved here, I had no clue how to adapt myself to the local community. I was frustrated with my English communication skills and it always made me feel like a foreigner. Since I started to go to San Mateo Adult School, my life in the state has dramatically changed. Our considerate teachers are very passionate about teaching us. All my classmates are enthusiastic about exceeding our English abilities. Both my teachers and classmates, who always motivate each other, made me feel at home. I am also involved with the green team at school helping with reducing the plastic usage and spreading sustainability knowledge at school.

For immigrants to be in a local society, we need to have a proper education. Adult Education needs stable money in the new budget. Thank you for your support of our school and Adult Education.  

Sincerely,

Haruka Isobe Chen

Alt Text:  Resilience and Adaptation


No comments: