Saturday, May 30, 2020

SMAS Student Cristina Guisa's Letter to Governor Newsom

With the COVID pandemic, we have many challenges - including economic problems. The Legislature and the Governor must agree on a new budget for our new situation. This is the time when we need to tell them what we need and want in the new budget.

San Mateo Adult School Student Cristina Guisa shares her letter on this topic to Governor Newsom:

Dear  Governor Newsom:

First of all, I want to thank you for all your great work during this pandemic keeping us safe.

My name is Cristina Guisa, and I am a student  at San Mateo Adult School. I am from Mexico and now I live in San Mateo County. I came to the United States of America with my husband to support him and to pursue his career. I had to leave my dream job as an Interior Designer, my friends, my family and all the things I worked for. Since I came to California I have been through a lot of changes in my life starting with a new home in a new country, far away from all the people I know and care about me, being a homemaker, when I was used to work  earning my own money and knowing nobody but my husband.  Adult Education helped me instantly to find an equilibrium in my new life here like Sequoia Adult School, where I began ,and now San Mateo Adult School.

I understand the difficulties that COVID19 has brought to the country and how hard everything is right now for all of us. I am aware that our economy is not in its best shape and that the state will need to develop a strategy to solve the economic crisis. Because of this, I decided to write you this letter. I want to thank you for all the support Adult Education has received in the past and now with the COVID19 pandemic. 

Sequoia Adult School and San Mateo Adult School have helped me to feel part of this country.The schools have provided me with a variety of tools such as: teaching me the right way to speak, write, read and skills to communicate not just with my household friends but also with all the people around me. They teach me how to perform in different environments. For example: in a doctor/patient appointment, in an interview, etc. San Mateo Adult School helped me find a place and give me a sense of belonging, so I could help my family with the daily duties. With all the things I learn each day at school, I participate better and become more involved in my community, so I can give back too. 

In addition, at school I have access to community information I need to thrive, and I truly believe if the community thrives the country will follow. Otherwise, I might be a burden to my family. All the education SMAS is providing me, even now remotely via zoom, prepares me to apply for jobs or create my own business in the future. 

For all these reasons and more, I, in the most respectful way, ask you to continue supporting our schools. I assure you, Adult Education has the power to help not just California but the country to bring back our economy. All the connections we make at school make us take actions outside of it. We help the country's economy by going to school every day. If we do not have Adult Education Schools like SMAS, we will not have the need to go out, so we will not have to spend money and give back to our community and instead of supporting the economy, we would reduce the economic flow.

Adult Education needs solid funding in the new budget. With this money, I will acquire the skills I lack to help more people in my community by volunteering and in the future finding  a job where I can give back more to the people. Thank you for your support to our school and Adult Education.

Sincerely,
Cristina Guisa.
Redwood City, CA

Alt Text: Stones in balance against a blue sky


No comments: