Monday, April 13, 2015

Essay Contest Writer: My Wonderful Story

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.  

Here, with the permission of the author (who wishes to remain anonymous), is one of them:



MY WONDERFUL STORY

            I’m a student at San Mateo Adult School, and this is my wonderful story. I have been living here for almost 8 years. I was a student at San Mateo Adult School 8 years ago and for two wonderful reasons in my life I stopped studying here after 1 year. I became a mother twice, and I raised my kids.

Last year I decided not to give up and made an effort to come to school as often as possible. Even though it is very hard, it is not impossible if I want to get one of my goals, to speak English fluently with my daughters and my friends. Another goal is to be my children’s model as a student and mother. My older daughter always encourages me to keep studying. She feels proud of me when I can communicate with her friends and her teacher. Another reason is I have to attend my two daughters’ conferences twice a year. It is not easy but I don’t use a translator.  It is a challenge for me to do it by myself in these meetings. The teachers and I talk about many things such as, my daughters’ achievements in all subjects and they provide me with different alternatives on how I can help them at home.

  In my opinion, San Mateo Adult School is very significant for our community, especially for people who come to this country for the first time and this is a huge opportunity that they should take advantage of. They can get a lot of benefits from the variety of programs that San Mateo Adult School provides. For example, I’m attending grammar, computer, and writing classes. And also, I can manage my time because this school offers different schedules for the students. And another reason is, you can meet people from different countries and learn about their culture and traditions. Everybody should be aware of how beneficial it is to keep this place open, so we have to keep demonstrating our support for San Mateo Adult School. I’m thankful for this wonderful school, especially for all the teachers for sharing with us their knowledge and experience.  They play a special role in our lives.  They always help students in many different ways, not only with the language, but also supports us emotionally or with personal problems.  They always give us good advice.   In others words my teachers are great and unique because they make me feel confident and happier, they are a special part of my life.  My family and I would like to extend our grateful thanks to San Mateo Adult School and all the staff.

No comments: