Friday, April 10, 2015

Essay Contest Writer: Adult Education is Important to the Community

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.  

Here, with the permission of the author (who wishes to remain anonymous), is one of them:



Hello Adult School Staff, Teachers and Classmates. My name is --------. I grew up in small village called Samrod in India. During my time in India, I never attended English school until a lot later in life. I only got a few years of schooling learning Hindi, Gujurati and Arabic. I stopped my education, because I had to help my mother take care of my eight younger siblings. During that time in the 1970s, girls were not allowed to get at formal education. Because there was no future for me in India, I decide to move to from a small village to a big city in South Africa. I got married and had three sons. I even learned how to run a business. But, because of the high crime we did not feel safe. Even though we had a house and a business, we still decided to move to the USA. I came to the States with my family. I have always dreamed for better education, for my kids, for myself and for our future. 


 
 When I first came to San Francisco, I had a little trouble adjusting, because I was use to living in a big house. Instead, I was stuck with small studio.  We were lucky, my husband got a hotel job and we had a roof over our heads. My family was safe, and my three sons went to middle school and I found a school in San Francisco that taught English. I spoke English to everyone, so I had a lot of practice speaking. I knew how to get around with my English, because I learned English while doing business in South Africa. However, I wanted to learn to express myself, which was sometimes difficult. After a while, we moved to Burlingame.

          One day my Arabic teacher told me about the San Mateo Adult School. I was very interested in learning again, so I started right away at San Mateo adult school. I’m glad I found out about the San Mateo Adult. I feel safe and more confident, because of San Mateo Adult School. I have made many friends from all backgrounds and cultures. I used the class as a platform to become more social. My teachers were especially helpful to me and told me about volunteering.  I began volunteering at San Mateo Medical Center three years ago and I also have been gardening at school for a few years. I learned how to grow organic food. San Mateo Adult School has given me the confidence to start a small Indian catering business as well. I feel like I can communicate to people with my words more effectively because I practice in class with amazing teachers and fellow. I want to thank the San Mateo Adult School community, teachers and staff as well as my friends.

          Without Adult School, I would have less knowledge about my community. I get my news about my community from adult school. I learn about the issues affecting my community through adult school. Without adult school I would have a harder time communicating with my granddaughter. My life would be more difficult, because I would have to find something to do in the mean time. I enjoy my adult school so much more than just education. I actually walk a few miles sometimes to get to school, which allows me to get my exercise. Adult school has given me the motivation to someday create an adult school in my home back in India.  My goal is to give both young and old an opportunity for education. Education is so important, because it is useful information that allows one to do something great. I would not of learned about the San Mateo Medical Center had I not went to adult school. I want to someday get a G.E.D. by finishing my high school education. My goal is to be able to communicate with my 3 year old granddaughter and to be able to teach her a thing or two. My goal includes being able to communicate to my own family and friends, to able to convey how to live a happy life.

          Adult education is important to the community. We need education for communication, to grow as a human, to offer something back to our communities. If adults did not have a place to go, we would be lost. We would not have the foundation to grow, to be confident in ourselves. Adult school has strengthen our confidence, has helped us understand what is going on in our communities, and it allows for us to be a safe environment. It is an opportunity for us to socialize. I truly enjoy the educational services that San Mateo Adult School offers and I have experienced growth in communicating with my own family. I feel happy knowing that I have a place to learn without judgments.

Thank you very much Adult School staff and teachers.
 
 

 

 

 

         

No comments: