Thursday, April 9, 2015

Essay Contest Writer Yoriko Watanabe: A Precious Place to Learn

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.  

Here, with author Yoriko's permission, is one of them:



A Precious Place to Learn.


I came from Japan with my family about three years ago. It was the first experience for us to live in foreign country. I have two boys. They were 13 and 8 years old when we came to America. At that time we could not speak and communicate in English well.

My husband and sons learned English through their daily life. My husband had his own place to learn in his work and my sons had their own places in their schools with great coworkers, teachers and friends. Their language skills have improved day by day.

I didn’t have such a place because I was a housewife. I had to struggle to maintain my everyday life. I was frustrated that I could not communicate with people who talked to me in a friendly way. I could not even tell them that I was weak in English. I did not know how to study English by myself.

 Meanwhile, I was lucky to find the Adult School through my Japanese friend’s introduction. This is exactly what I had been looking for.

First I went to the English Grammar Class every day at Foster City Church. In this Class, Sister Gen taught a variety of students who came from around the world. I enjoyed conversation with those students during the break. I gained new friends there. And now I go to Distance Learning Class at San Mateo once a week. This class gives me time to talk with a teacher one-to-one. My teacher Ms. Carolyn and I talk about many kinds of topics like customs, cultures, history and politics. I have learned a lot from her. She teaches me not only English but also American real life. She is also my good advisor and helps me when I am in trouble. I look forward to seeing her every time.

The San Mateo Adult School is a part of my life. I realize how important it is to communicate with others. To study language is the first step to understand different cultures and people who live there. I could not enjoy American life without the San Mateo Adult School.

I am grateful for this precious place to learn. I sincerely appreciate teachers and staff.
 
Yoriko  Watanabe, Distance Learning




Thank you, Yoriko, for sharing your inspiring story with us.

No comments: