Monday, April 6, 2015

Adult Ed Week Essay Winner Manuel Valencia: Happy and Thankful

Manuel reading his essay at the
Evening Award Ceremony
Manuel Valencia was one of the Adult Education Week 2015 Evening ESL Essay Contest winners.  He is a student in Teacher Alesha's class. The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."

Here, with his permission, is his essay:



Happy and Grateful

My name is Manuel and I am from El Salvador.  I have decided to come her because in my country we have too much violence, like gangsters and crime.  It is very dangerous for young men  I was studying in the 11th grade when I left El Salvador.  I lived with my mother and my twin sister.  I worked at a salon as a hair stylist.  The reason I came here is because this country has many job opportunities and I could have a better life.  People have the opportunity to learn new languages and meet people from many countries.

I was very nervous when I came here because I didn't know English.  I knew just the basics like the verb "to be" and it was hard because I was too shy to buy a soda or food.  It was even hard to find a job because at many jobs you need English and I didn't know it.  I live with my sister and I feel good about that.  I came alone and didn't know anyone.

I heard about San Mateo Adult School from my sister.  She studied and learned English a long time ago.  When I started studying here, I just thought that this is going to be exciting.  I will make friends from different countries and it will be good.  I will take every English class.

Now, I feel comfortable going out in the community, thanks to San Mateo Adult School.  I know English and I feel safe here.  My life is going to be better because of San Mateo Adult School.  It has helped me to communicate with people and I feel happy.  Life is going to be easier.  San Mateo Adult School is helping to achieve my goals too.  One of my goals is to get a better job where I feel comfortable.

Adult Education is very important to the community because many people come to this country day for different reasons.  We can't get an education at a university if don't know English. Adult Education is the best place to learn English for people like me, people that come here and want to be someone in the society.  I feel so happy and thankful to Adult Education because it is the place where I started having the life I want.


Thank you, Manuel, for sharing your inspiring story.

No comments: