Monday, April 6, 2015

Adult Ed Week Day Essay Winner Xiao Yu Miao: A Proud Adult School Student


Teacher Katherine
reading Xiao Yu Miao's
essay at the award ceremony.
Xiao Yu Miao was one of the of the Adult Education Week 2015 Day ESL Essay Contest winners.  She won third prize.   She is a student in Teacher Katherine's Morning ESL class and Teacher Shirley's ESL Writing class.

The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."

Here, with her permission, is her essay:
 
A Proud Adult School Student

I have been a student at San Mateo Adult School for three months.  I'm so proud.  This is my true story.

When I came to San Francisco Airport five months ago, I couldn't answer any questions the immigration officer asked, so I had to stay at the airport for twenty minutes as the officer questioned me.  I was sad and ashamed indeed at that time.  So, I decided to look for a school to study English quickly, because I need to return to China after my stay here for six months.

Fortunately, two weeks after I came here, my neighbor told me something about San Mateo Adult School, such as their special classes and their schedules.  They are important for my situation and this would be a wonderful school for me to attend.

As soon as I heard the information, I went to the school.  Pattie was the first person I met at the school.  She made me feel very welcome and introduced me to the grammar, conversation, pronunciation and other classes.  After the test, I became an adult school student, and I was so excited to be in Katherine's morning class and Lisa's afternoon class.  These were intermediate high classes.  Then, I got an opportunity to take Shirley's writing class.  To me, I was so lucky because the three teachers were all excellent and experienced.  They were patient with me and gave me useful and practical suggestions to improve my English skills.  After that, I found my English level had improved greatly. 

After a short time, I had the courage to become a volunteer to serve other people once a week at the Older Self-Help Center in San Mateo.  I can speak English easily to other persons and give my service to the city.  During some holidays, I went to the center to help organize singing and dancing, to serve lunches, and to teach Chinese.  I'm very happy because while I help others they also help me to raise my English skills. I have been learning about different cultures of different countries while I'm volunteering.  It's a wonderful exchange.

Another interesting thing to me is that I can listen to and understand the sermons at St. Mathew's church.  Before I came here, I couldn't understand the sermons.  It's a direct result of the adult school teachers, they open my eyes and gave me great courage to study and understand that religion is important in people's lives.  I believe that learning English well and serving others well are very significant for me.

From the school's education, I have also gotten these good characteristics of courage, good attitude, persistence, serving other people, thankfulness and Love.  It's very useful to me in living and happy and valuable life.

Thank you, Xiao Yu, for sharing your inspiring story.

No comments: