Monday, April 7, 2014

ESL Student Susana: The Adult School Helps with My Son's Education

Evening ESL Students celebrated Adult Education Week with an Essay Contest.

Award winner Susana Vargas, a student in Teacher Andy's class, shares her essay here:


The San Mateo Adult School has helped me a lot through all those years that I have been in US.  To be exact, twelve years.  It has helped me in many ways.  One of them is of course speaking English.  When I first came here, I didn't know any word in English.  The first year was frustrating because I didn't understand anything Teacher Lili was saying.  I used to go home with a headache almost every day.  I attended Adult School for five years and I stopped coming because of my job and I needed to be home with my son.  I came back to school in 2012.  I know Adult School has helped me with my son's education because I speak English and I can communicate with his teachers, doctors, dentists, and everybody who is around my family.  Speaking English has helped me to keep my job, as well.  I know I can't speak English one hundred percent but I'm able to communicate anywhere I go and I will keep coming to school to learn more.

I want to thank to San Mateo Adult School, all teachers, Mr. T, for being here to help everybody.

Thanks, Susana, for sharing your essay and inspiring others.

Susan reading her award-winning essay.

No comments: