Friday, June 25, 2021

Meet New Assistant Director Kira Mann!


Kira Mann
(Alt Text: Smiling woman
with dark hair
in front of trees)
Get to know Kira Mann and join us in welcoming her to our school community!


Tell us about your last job


I have worked at Eastside Adult Education for the past 12 years. I started working as an ESL teacher. I worked in ABE, GED, and ASE programs. I integrated school-wide technology and served as a WASC Coordinator. I became the Supervisor of our Career Ed and Integrated Education and Training Programs.


How did you deal with the pandemic at your school?


We were slowly moving in the direction we needed to move when COVID hit and accelerated everything. We had to pivot and change every day.  Teachers had a choice to implement new technology in the past - but now they had to learn to do these things.  


We saw the inequities in education when we were distributing Chromebooks. Understanding what each person - teacher or student - needed was very important - so we could help each individual succeed. 


It was a journey and also an opportunity to learn. We realized our inner strengths to adapt to change and become innovative, doing the things we never knew that we could do. When challenges come, you want to be part of this journey and make this a successful story.  Now the question is:  what are the opportunities that came along?


What do you most enjoy about working in Adult Ed?


Building relationships with students and colleagues. I thrive on it. In the classroom, once a student feels a sense of belonging, learning happens. In small conversations, we can recognize student stories and who students are as a whole person. There is a strong relationship between feeling cared about, attendance and learning.   


I teach with my heart. Seeing my students succeed and get to the next steps in their journey keeps me motivated. I have always pushed myself to ensure that my students have the right resources and the support they need.  I have always had high expectations of my students and I have encouraged them to think about their deeper why. This helped me build a  tight-knit and collaborative culture in my classroom and school.

I have always believed that Adult Ed is a second opportunity. When I immigrated from India I was so amazed to see programs like these. I was so happy to see such a beautiful thing - education being a lifelong process. 


What are you looking forward to about joining SMAS?


First of all, I am grateful for the opportunity! I resonate with the mission. Not only education but lifelong learning that serves the individual as a whole. There are so many programs - including strong ESL, CTE and ASE programs. I can bring my skills of integrating technology into education programs.  Instead of students needing to learn the language, they can learn the language and the tech and work skills simultaneously.  I am looking forward to serving our adult learners. 


Can you tell us a little more about yourself? Where did you grow up?


I grew up in Punjab, a state near New Delhi, the capital of India. I moved to California in 1996 and have been here ever since!


What did you like about school as a student?

 

I was in boarding schools my entire educational career in India. Being away from my family, I had to build my own community.  Even then, relationships and collaboration were what I thrive on.  


My favourite things about school were learning and pushing myself on the basketball court and soccer field. I have always had a competitive spirit, and teachers and coaches brought the best out of me.



What do you like to do for R and R - rest and recreation?


I like to do yoga and hot pilates after a long day of work. I also like hiking and spending time outdoors with my children.  During COVID, I also really enjoyed watching movies to learn about other cultures and communities. 










No comments: