Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Farewell, Sweet Teacher Carolyn!


Carolyn at her desk in Distance Learning

After many years, Teacher Carolyn Pannu is retiring.  Neil Diamond sings a famous song, "Sweet Caroline."  Many students describe our own Teacher Carolyn as sweet, also. She is very patient and kind. Before she worked as a teacher, she was a flight attendant. She has many skills to help people feel safe, comfortable, and ready to learn and do new things. 

I asked Carolyn to share a bit about her time at San Mateo Adult School.  Here are her answers:

How long have you worked at SMAS?

I have worked at the Adult School since 1998, but I joined the District in 1989, teaching English in several High Schools.

What did you do/teach?

I taught in the ESL classes at the Adult School, Low Advanced Level, and then in "Distance Learning" (before virtual Zoom classes), meeting one-on-one with ESL students, some enrolled in other ESL classes, and some coming from home, with
the opportunity to learn English with individual teacher support.

What did you learn from your students?

I learned so much about our students' goals and dreams for themselves, their families, and the community.  Too, I learned about so many rich cultures from countries all over the world, and I learned to be a compassionate and caring listener.

To be a teacher is rewarding in myriad ways and I am grateful for all the years that I was enriched by the best profession in the world!

What are your plans after you leave SMAS- during or after the pandemic?

After the pandemic, I hope to travel to see my family and friends.  In the meantime, I will explore some new avenues and continue to enjoy my daily dance exercise (Zoom Jazzercise classes), daily walks in the park with our dog, Lucky, a Golden Retriever, reading, knitting, and cooking... and taking power naps!! (so necessary for an octogenarian!)

I have loved working with and learning from so many of my colleagues, teachers, mentors, and all of the Staff at our beloved SMAS.  All of you will always hold a special place in my heart.  

With deep affection,

Carolyn

Teacher Carolyn with Lunch Bunch
Image Description: Many students
gathered together with Teacher Carolyn

Teacher Carolyn and Teacher Cynthia
with red Adult Education Matters fram

Teacher Shaina, Teacher Carolyn,
Teacher Jeanne, and Assistant Director Lori




Teacher Gia and Teacher Carolyn
at a staff gathering

Teacher Carolyn and Teacher Elizabeth
at a retirement party for Teacher Shirley.
They are wearing leis.

Teacher Carolyn
Smiling profile in glasses

International Day 
Student, Mr. T, Teacher Carolyn in her red Adult Education Matters t-shirt


No comments: