Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Gratitude for the Chance to Serve: A Pandemic Thanksgiving Story

Gratitude for The Opportunity to Serve Others in a Time of Crisis


Two SMAS students, Vanessa Santos and Xin Ying Li, and two staff members, Stephanie Kriebel and Marina Kravtsova, were recognized by San Mateo City Council as CERT volunteers active in the community during the COVID-19 pandemic this past summer.





SMAS Staff Member Marina Kravtsova writes:

 

I personally want to thank Stephanie Kriebel who provided an opportunity to receive the CERT training for SMAS students and staff in Summer 2019.  Opportunities like that make the difference in immigrants' lives (speaking from the experience).

 

With pride and gratitude,

Marina

 

SMAS Student Vanessa Santos writes:

 

I appreciate this opportunity to be useful to the community.

I am really happy to be part of the San Mateo Adult School.

I am grateful to Marina for sending me the slide.

Thank you Stephanie for your caring and hard work for the school community.


Vanessa Santos

 

Former SMAS and current CSM Student Xin Ying Li writes:

 

My name is Ying, a former student at SMAS and a current student at the College of San Mateo.

 

Having seen too many heart-broken stories in China, I decided to participate in the SM senior center lunch delivery program when COVID 19 began to attack our community last spring. For me, it was not only an action to protect the most vulnerable among us but also a practice to cope with my own sadness, fear, anxiety, and anger. I heard the call from my heart that I had to do things to fight against the invisible virus. 

 

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I’d like to give thanks here to those who helped me throughout my participation in the program.

 

First thanks to teacher Stephanie, I gained an opportunity to attend basic Community Emergency Response Team training at SMAS in 2019 summer, so I was qualified to volunteer the lunch delivery program after receiving three other short online trainings.

 

Thanks to Sandra and Carolyn who both gave the volunteers detailed instructions, I’ve learned how to respect others and protect myself while carrying out the non-contact senior lunch delivery processes.

 

Thanks to dear Marina, when I saw her beautiful eyes and heard her crisp voice at the SM senior center parking lot, I was so excited and knew that I was not alone in the battle against the virus.

 

Thanks to my Chinese classmate Lucy in Room 41, who immediately donated medical masks to the SM senior center when I told her that there were two staff wearing cloth masks.

 

Thanks to the old gentleman who said that “I’m waiting for the sunshine” when he opened the door in front of me and thanks to the lady who would greet me with smiling eyes outside her house every time. I was so touched at those moments.

 

Last thanks to my husband and my son, who always understood and supported me when I  was volunteering as a CERT member. 

 

My inner fear and anxiety has been reduced since I volunteered for senior lunch delivery. It’s clear that we are not isolated as we practice social distance. As SM community members, we can work together to get through the present hard time.




 


No comments: