Monday, October 15, 2018

Learner to Earner: Wendy Yeung

Wendy (on the left) smiling with SMAS classmates
while volunteering at the San Mateo Public Library
At San Mateo Adult School, students learn many skills to help them succeed.  Some students progress from the classroom to jobs.  They are learner to earner success stories.  

Wendy Yeung is one of these success stories.  She agreed to share her experience in order to help other students move forward toward their own goals.

Thank you, Wendy, for sharing your story! 



What is your name?  
 
Wendy Yeung


Where are you from - what country or part of the world?
 
I am from Hong Kong China. Hong Kong is in the south part of China and was a British colony for 100 years.


What classes did you take at San Mateo Adult School?  Who were your teachers?
 
I took Distance Learning class of teacher Cynthia, ESL Advanced Low Class of teacher Jessica, ESL Adv High Listen/speak Class of teacher Vasyl, ESL Advanced Writing class of teacher Lisa and Online class of teacher Carol.


What are your doing now - what is your job or volunteer work?
 
I am a multi-purpose clerk in Lucky Supermarket. I work in the Berkeley Deli Department. Although I have no experience on that before, but they give me a chance.
 
 
What helped you find this job or volunteer position?
 
My husband David inspired me to create my new life in America.  But no feedback from online job hunting. I went through a loss of confidence when i couldn't understand what other people were saying.


San Mateo Adult School opened a window for me to get to know American people and American culture. That is the first step for all new immigrant. so meaningful! The teachers of School let us study in English environment.


When I couldn't speak in English, my sister Jessica accompanied me to read aloud at home. When I was afraid to find a job in person, my friend Shirley encouraged me to go into the store to express myself. the most critical step is my families and friends' support.
 
I have to survive. I know deeply I want to live in a real life but not only American Dream.


What helped you the most at San Mateo Adult School?
 

The professional teachers at SMAS helped me the most.  Patricia Villar as a transition navigator said to me: You don't know what you can do, until you try.   Teacher Cynthia, Jessica  and Lisa taught me a lot of kinds of ways to learn English.   Teacher Vasyl told us more about American culture.

 
Do you have advice for other SMAS students - about learning English, looking for a job, taking risks, doing something new in the USA?  
 
New world, new life! That is what i think. I am not the best, but I will try my best.
And English Learning will stay with me for the rest of my life in America.
 
 

Thank you so much, Wendy, for sharing your experience.  Your advice is spot-on and will help many people.  Thank you!  
 













No comments: