Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Wendy Samayoa's Graduation Speech: The Difference is Determination

Wendy Samayoa accepts her diploma
from SMUHSD Trustee Linda Lees Dwyer

Wendy Samayoa shares the speech she gave at the San Mateo Adult School 2018 Graduation.


Prepare to be inspired!

There is a Spanish quote that sums up feelings and thoughts at this moment “La direfencia entre lo possible y lo impossible esta en la determination de una persona.”  “The difference between the possible and the impossible lies in the determination of a person.” Hello My name is Wendy Samayoa and I am here because of my determination!!
This is an evening that marks the end of an important stage in my life.  My road to educational success has not been easy as it has not been for others here tonight.  I’m from Guatemala. When I was a child my parents got divorced and my mother made the decision to come to the United States, while my father and I remained in Guatemala. I was raised by my grandparents and my aunt, along with my two sisters.   My early education from elementary school to high school was very successful. I knew from very early on I wanted to be teacher. Knowing what I wanted to do I was determined to succeed.
I enrolled at the local university and graduated as a Professor. After I graduated from the university, I started my Master’s degree in Psychology. Then my road to success became more difficult. I was unable to finish my degree because of the violence and political turmoil that was going on. Being constantly threatened and no longer feeling safe I decided to come to the United States.  My heart remains in Guatemala but my road to my success is in America.
I came to the United States in July 2016 to live with my mother. The transition from Guatemala to the United States was much more difficult than I could have imagined   At that time my English skills were very poor and as a result I could not get a job here. It was very important that I improve my English skills before continuing my education.  We looked into enrolling at CSM but I could not afford the tuition fee at that time. Determined my mother and I continued to search for the right school. My mother suggested that I could go to San Mateo Adult School and enroll in ESL classes.
I enrolled in High Intermediate ESL level in fall of 2016.  The first semester was difficult since I had a hard time communicating with other students in English   Soon my English communication skills improved and my confidence in learning returned. Choosing to return to school was a hard decision that changed my life but I wanted to continue my studies and determined to earn a degree in this country.  I was told that the Adult School offered a High School Diploma Program. This program was entirely different than ESL because you need to pass required academic courses to earn a High School Diploma. Many of the courses I took in high school in Guatemala were not transferrable in the US so I needed to make up 30 credits.  This has not been easy, there were times I wanted to give up my educational dreams and just go to work. But with the assistance and guidance of the High School Diploma staff I am now a high school graduate ready to start the next chapter in my life. I want to give a special thanks to Carlota, Mr Beall, Ms. Thompson, Mr. Creegan, Frantz and George for always encouraging me to continue my education and share my success with others.
My confidence and determination has instilled in me to be a role model to other students who have had or has similar difficulties in life. In the summer of 2017, I joined the school’s Ambassador Program, a position which I continue to hold today. In fall 2017, I ran for the Student Council President position and won. I have been a pioneer in two San Mateo Adult School pilot programs: ESL City Government Academy, and the ESL Eat Healthy Be Active Community Health Program. This Summer I am volunteering as a teacher’s aide in a Low Beginning ESL class.
I met my first long term goal and will finally receive my High School Diploma. My short term goals are to continue to improve my English skills, and go to community college next year.  And now, my second long term goal is to be a teacher here in the United States.
I would not be here tonight speaking in front of you without saying thank you to those who have always been by my side. Thanks God, my mom, my family, my teachers and my friends, thank you for supporting me in my decisions even when you did not agree with them. THANK YOU is not enough to express what I feel, this mixture of sadness, happiness and satisfaction to reach the goal.  And to all other graduates here tonight be proud of what you have accomplished and continue to follow your dreams.

So… remember “La direfencia entre lo possible y lo impossible esta en la determination de


una persona.”  “The difference between the possible and the impossible lies in the

determination of a person.”



Thank you, Wendy, for inspiring us to choose courage, effort, and persistence.

No comments: