Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Learner to Volunteer: Asami Niwa

As San Mateo Adult School Students gain knowledge, skills, and confidence, they join the work force, advance in their jobs, and engage in volunteer work.  The Learner to Earner page is about their success. Each week or so, another success story is feature.  Here's the seventh story in the series.


In her own words, here is Learner to Volunteer Asami Niwa’s story:

I’d like to introduce my volunteer experience.  I’m a veterinarian in Japan.  I wanted to volunteer related to my skill.  Then I met Teacher Jay who teaches job search class.  He pushed me to use my skills as a volunteer.  I made my resume and he revised it.  After it was completed, I handed it in to eight animal hospitals.  Only one hospital replied to me and invited me to volunteer.  I started to volunteer.  First my work was limited but it increased little by little.  Everyone treated me as if I were one of the employees.  Therefore, I was able to have confidence and take responsibility for my work.
I had a precious experience.  It made my life rich even if I didn’t get any money.  I think being a volunteer is a chance to experience doing a lot of things.  Volunteers need only a will that they want to do something positive.
Asami Niwa
Asami Niwa
Looking for a job?  Consider these resources:

1.  Passport to Employment – job search skills for ESL students
2.  LinkedIn – post your resume online
3.  Job hunting resources in San Mateo County
 

No comments: