Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Essay Contest Writer Helen Wang: My Story at San Mateo Adult School

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.  

Here, with author Helen's permission, is one of them:

 
My Story at San Mateo Adult School

In 2010, my family came to the United States from China to start a new life here.   I wished to adapt into this new environment quickly, including looking for a job.  After several failures, I faced a hard time.  Even though I had working experience and skills back in China, I lacked the knowledge regarding job application in this country.

One day, as I opened the mailbox, a brochure from San Mateo Adult School attracted me.  In it I found a job search skills class that seemed right for me, so I enrolled immediately.

On the first day of class, I met my teacher Martin.  He was a nice person and always encouraged the students.  When I was introducing myself in front of my classmates, I got very nervous.  I made a short speech and went back to my seat, filled with frustration.  Martin came to me and said, "Don't worry; I know you have great ability and potential.  Open yourself and you will succeed in this class!"  His word gave me confidence, and soon I became comfortable in his class.

Step by step, I followed Martin's instructions, I learned to write a proper resume to express myself, to recognize my strength and weaknesses, and to find my motivating factors.  With the knowledge obtained from this class in a few months, I applied to a part time office clerk position and was gratefully hired.  Successfully getting a job, I stepped into the next stage of my life.

After several years of working, I found I needed to improve my writing skills to get better performance at work.  So I returned to school to attend the writing intensive class by teacher Shirley.  It was a wonderful class with a flexible schedule that allowed me to continue working while I am studying.  Under Shirley's sincere teaching, my writing skill has gotten better day by day.

It is a pleasure to share my story with others.  The good does not come easily, I must maintain my passion and dedicate myself to keep learning in order to succeed.



No comments: