Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Essay Contest Writer: Education Changed My Life

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.

Here, with the permission of the author (who wishes to remain anonymous), is one of them:

Education Changed My Life

"Education changes lives" is a well-known saying in China.  I firstly heard it when I was a primary school student.  Even though I didn't know the exact meaning of it, I just followed it and kept going with my education until I got my master degree.  With my life experience, I strongly support this idea.  Therefore, I suggest people to cherish every education opportunity, for it is really important to your life.

I was born in north of China.  During my childhood, my hometown was not as developed as nowadays. The whole China was in the beginning of economic development in the 1980's.  People were not rich at that time, and the only way to change the poor situation is to encourage students to study hard.  I was not sure whether I could have a different life in the future by this way, but the only thing I was certain was that I could not achieve my dream if I did not do anything.  As a result, I started to study hard to achieve better school records.  I succeeded in studying well in my primary school, and won the opportunity to enter a better middle school, and then got the offer from one of the top five high schools in my city.  Finally, I had the permit to enter a very good university in China studying fiancé and investment.  In order to pursue more professional knowledge in my field, I decided to study in Europe for my master degree.  My university is located in a small town in Sweden, where is a very peaceful and nice place to study.

Sometimes, things have been changing so slightly that you may not notice it.  Gradually, I became a graduate student with finance and economic background.  At the same time, Chinese economy was also growing in an unbelievably high speed.  There were so many jobs opportunities existing in China, and China needed professional employees so eagerly as well.  When I successfully found a satisfied position a nationwide state-owned investment company in Beijing, some people thought I might have special personal relationships which helped me get the job.  However, only I myself understood that it was the education made me different and competent in the interview.  I was so happy that I didn't give up in the past years, and my struggling study life experience told me that the harder you worked, the luckier you were.  With the understand of it, I continued to maintain the hard-working spirit in my work. I persisted in studying new things in the work, I tried new methods to solve the problems, and I endeavored to increase my work efficiency.  I almost got the best-employee prize every year, and I also obtained the promotion rapidly in my company.  I felt every day was full of challenge with a sense of having fulfilled my destiny.  When I felt that I had the ability to help others, I chose to denote some money to the Project Hope, the one from China Youth Development Foundation, to support a student who lives in the undeveloped rural ara in China to continue his school work.  I hoped he could change his and his family's lives through study, instead of giving up the education rights because of the poverty.  That was my work, my real life, and it strong proved that education changed my life greatly. 

Now, it is the fourth month since I arrived in the United States, and I am gradually accustomed to American's life.  I never thought I would come to US before, except the plan of visiting beautiful views and shopping handbags here.  It is so hard to end up your original life and begin a new life in an unknown place.  However, I moved with my family anyway.  At the beginning, I knew nobody here.  It was so difficult to stay by myself in the daytime and have no idea where to go.  After several dingy days, I decided to ask help from education once more.  San Mateo Adult School was recommended by some of my friends.  At first, I just wanted to find someone to communicate and spent my spare time.  Later, I found that teachers here were really helpful and kind.  My goal is to pick up my English skills again after not using it for long time.  After that, I plan to finish my CFA (Charted Financial Analyst) test for the second and third levels.  Bes, I also want to learn course of taxes, and then take the Enrolled Agents test.

Life always gives you different challenges, but you will never lose heart if you have the determination to study continuously.  Although it is not easy in the initial stage, you will enjoy your wonderful life after diligent work.  Consequently, do not hesitate to learn.  Adult School is a good place for everyone, for it is not picky about students.  No matter how old you are, how well educated you are, whether you are rich or poor, you will enjoy the equal quality of education.  It is so important because education changes lives.



No comments: