Monday, April 13, 2015

Essay Contest Writer Erick Romero: This Is My Story

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.  

Here, with author Erick's permission, is one of them:


This Is My Story

I am Erick Romero.  I am a student and San Mateo Adult School and this is my story.

I am from Mexico City.  In 2002, I stopped my studies in Mexico to come to the United States to work to be able to help my mother and family.  I started working with my sister's husband who has a restaurant.  After three months in this country, I registered at San Mateo Adult School.  I studied just one semester and then I stopped because my brother had kidney problems and had to stop work.  I started to work full time to help my brother.  After five years, my brother got a kidney transplant and, one year later, he went back to work.

In January, 2015, I came back to San Mateo Adult School because now I have an important job.  I am superintendent of the paint department of the company I work for and I need to speak English well.

I like San Mateo Adult School.  The teachers are very good and the school offers may different classes.  I want to make the most of the opportunities the school offers.


Thank you, Erick, for sharing your inspiring story.

No comments: