Thursday, January 30, 2014

Student Wisdom: Marina

On January 29th, San Mateo Adult School ESL Students Hitomi, Marco, and Marina attended an Oversight Hearing on Adult Education.

Marina, Hitomi, and Marco speaking at the hearing.
An oversight hearing is a call for a more information so legislators can make good laws.

Click here to read more about the hearing.

Click here to read what Hitomi said.

Click here to read what Marco said.

Click here to watch a video of the hearing.






Here is what Marina shared with them:



 Message from Marina, San Mateo Adult School Student Advocate

Becoming an ESL student at SMAS has taught me that for many students Adult Education there is something more than just learning grammar, vocabulary or writing.

It is a very special place for every student because of its special friendly atmosphere.

For many of us it is the only way to get cultural knowledge, learn how to get along in a multicultural community and become a part of American community. Moreover, it is the only way to find friends and recover from depression and desperation.

I strongly believe that lonely, incompetent, incapable person couldn’t become a good community member, worker, citizen or parent. And I know it from my own experience, two years ago I really felt myself incompetent and incapable and unable to set a good example for my sons and support them at their schools. But due to my studying in San Mateo Adult School I literally “rose from the ashes”. And I know many people with the same experience, and whom our school has helped a lot.

So I hope the new Adult Education system keeps Adult schools as the place with special atmosphere for students.
 
Hitomi, Marco, and Marina
promoting Red for Adult Ed on Tuesdays
 


No comments: