Sunday, August 30, 2020

Teacher Mary's Memories of Mr. T

Mr. T 


I met Mr. T in January of 2005.  He reminded me of Santa Claus, and I told him so.  He chuckled heartily. He was kind, sweet, tough when he needed to be, and patient. He was a good listener and a great storyteller. I always looked forward to and enjoyed his classroom visits at the beginning of every new semester and at Christmas.  He made the school feel like a safe and friendly place to be. He always made time for me when I needed someone to talk to. He never said no.


Mr. T was the one who convinced me to work at the adult school full time. He wanted me to be a part of the SMAS family.  I am honored to have the opportunity to know him, and I am fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from him.  Not only was he a great boss and leader, but he was also a great grandfather figure. I used to tell him that all the time.  Uh-oh….I can almost hear him say in mocked outrage,” Grandfather?  I’m not THAT old!!” 


We talked on the phone 14 days before he passed.  I was very sad to learn that he was in hospice care, but I was also fortunate to have had the chance to tell him that I loved him and that I was grateful to him for everything he has taught me- to be kind, to be patient, and to take every opportunity to build friendships.


I would like to imagine Mr. T sharing his stories and jokes with the angels in Heaven.  As one student commented,”Mr. T is probably doing raffles in Heaven now.”  Mr. T would have a bag of goodies for the angels if they win a raffle. He might have a new harp, a halo, or some sandals as prizes.


I love you, Mr. T.  Thank you for being an amazing boss and friend.  


Mary Weng


People in red clothing with musical instruments

Toshio Hirano, Mary Weng, Mr. T, Eric Saavedra, "Santa," Jay Finkelstein


No comments: