Thursday, August 15, 2019

Get to Know Teacher Mary Weng


San Mateo Adult School staff bring a wealth of skills and experience to the job.  This enriches our community and the learning experience.

 Each person is unique with their own stories.  

Here are Teacher Mary's:



Her SMAS Story


What do you teach now at SMAS?
I currently teach ESL Beginning Low in the morning, Listen and Speak Beginning
High on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, and ESL Beginning and Literacy in 
the evenings.


How long have you worked at SMAS?
I have worked at SMAS since January 2005 - 14 ½ years.


Where else have you been a teacher?
I have been a teacher at U.C. Berkeley's Newcomer's English Program, in 
Mexico - Mexico City and Cuernavaca, in Taiwan, and at more than 15 private 
and public schools in the Bay Area. 


What other jobs have you had?
I am also a teacher trainer, mentor, and field supervisor for student teachers 
from U.C. Berkeley, San Jose State, San Francisco State, 
University of San Francisco, Notre Dame de Namur University, and Santa 
Clara University. I have trained student teachers to become teachers here in 
the U.S. and abroad. I worked for IES Language Foundation for 12 years, and I 
have trained foreign language teachers for public and private schools 
throughout the Bay Area. I was also a workshop presenter for IES Language 
Foundation and the Archdiocese of San Francisco. I have been in the 
restaurant business for 32 years - in Taiwan, Mexico, and in the U.S. 
I was in the produce, meat & seafood market business for several years. 
I was also in other types of businesses as well: graphic designs, clothing 
designs, toy sales, etc. 



What do you like about teaching at SMAS?
I love teaching at SMAS because I enjoy working with adult learners who 
are eager to absorb new concepts. Students share their life experiences with 
me and their classmates, and we all become richer because of that. We all grow together as friends and family, and we bond through learning. It is immensely rewarding to work at SMAS.


Her Personal Story


Where were you born and where did you grow up?
I was born in Taipei, Taiwan, and raised in New York and San Francisco.


What did you study in college?
I initially studied business at U.C. Berkeley, but, later, I decided to major in 
English Literature with a minor focus on foreign languages because I wanted to 
become a writer in multiple languages. I have also studied at Tunghai University
(Taichung, Taiwan), San Jose State University, Universidad Autónoma 
del Estado de Morelos (Cuernavaca, Mexico), and Instituto Cultural México 
Japonés de Morelos (Cuernavaca, Mexico).


Do you speak other languages?
Officially, I have studied Mandarin, Cantonese, English, French, Italian, 
Spanish, and Japanese. I have written articles, stories, recipes, manuscripts, 
and poetry in English, Chinese, Spanish, French, Italian, and Japanese. I am 
currently working on a children's story in multiple languages. 


How did you learn them?

How did I learn all these languages? My school counselors encouraged 
me to study other languages when I struggled to speak English as a new 
immigrant. I still distinctly remember a conversation with my high school 
counselor, Mr. Ed Barton. He told me that I had to study a foreign language 
in order to be accepted into a university. I replied, "But English IS a foreign 
language to me!"  He laughed out loud, literally. I would like to visit Greece next. So, guess what flashcards I'm carrying around with me?
I practice different languages every day. It is not a task or an assignment; 
it is a lifestyle. Before I travel to a new country, I would study basic phrases 
and expressions. When my daughters and I travel, we would prepare 
flashcards for each of the languages we would use in each country. 
Before our trip to Europe, we studied basic phrases in Danish, Russian, 
Finnish, Estonian, Swedish, German, and, of course, English, French, 
and Italian.


Do you have kids?

I have two daughters -  Diana and Lizzy. They are classically trained dancers 
and musicians. They have very extensive training and performing experience in 
Mexico, Spain, Cuba, and throughout California. 

My daughter Diana just returned from a 5-week humanitarian and leisure trip 
to several countries in Africa. She came home and shared her experiences of 
speaking Arabic, Egyptian, and Swahili. 

My children are committed to a lifetime of service, bringing their performances, 
their work, and their love to charity and community events here in the U.S. and 
abroad. They have traveled to many orphanages, hospitals, senior care facilities,
etc., here and abroad, and participated in countless fundraisers and volunteered
for local, national, and international organizations such as Second Harvest, 
Samaritan House, St. Anthony Foundation, Locks of Love, Habitat for Humanity, 
American Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Hep B Free, Children's Miracle 
Network, Self Help for the Elderly, Salvation Army, Volunteer Solutions, Love 
Volunteers, and many more. I am extremely proud of all they have done to 
benefit and help others and also their dedication to a lifetime of service. They 
were raised with the belief that if they are blessed in their lives, they should 
share their blessings.


Advice for Others


Do you have advice for students about learning languages? 
About doing new things?


My advice to students learning English is to practice every day. 
I always challenge my students to study for seven minutes every day 
outside of school, even during weekends and vacations. It takes passion, time, 
and dedication to learn any new skill. Practice makes perfect! Never give up!


What keeps you strong?
All the people who smile back in my life keep me strong. A smile does so 
much for me: physically, emotionally, and psychologically. I also live to make 
a difference in this world, no matter how small. An act of kindness, a hug, a 
word of encouragement, and a smile are things that are free yet can impact 
people in small ways and big. I try to encourage people to do one kind deed 
every day. It can be something as simple as holding a door open for someone, 
or just offering a smile. The rewards you receive spiritually are ten-fold.


What do you like to do for relaxation and fun?

I enjoy learning new things, doing arts and crafts, making hand-made gifts for 
people, cooking, and, of course, eating, and traveling. I love music, so I enjoy 
going to music festivals and concerts. My most recent music festival was the 
49th Ukulele Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii, on the island of O'ahu. I took my first 
ukulele lesson and learned to play two songs. It was an amazing experience.

No comments: