Monday, May 6, 2019

SMAS Volunteers at YMCA Healthy Kids Day

San Mateo Adult School ESL students volunteered at the Peninsula Family YMCA's "Healthy Kids Day" event on Saturday, April 27.  This event is the YMCA's national initiative to improve the health and well-being of kids.  SMAS students volunteered in several areas, including welcoming and checking-in families, leading craft activities, supervising the "bouncy house", and handing out prizes to participating children.  It was a sunny, action-filled day and the adult volunteers seemed to be having as much fun as the children. 

Student volunteer Andrea J. commented, "It was a very beautiful experience last Saturday at YMCA promoting the Healthy Living for Kids event.  To be a volunteer gave me the opportunity to help others, also it is a great way to build my skills".

Student volunteer Anna B. said, "I am so thankful for the work we have been able to complete there and I am eager to take what I have learned back home to help improve my community.  All it takes is a willing heart and a big smile, and you can really change the world one piece at a time.  My favorite part was probably the opportunity that I got to take part in different activities.  I thoroughly enjoyed my volunteer experience at YMCA.  Especially, I enjoyed getting to meet all the children. Everyone I have met there has been so friendly and has made my time there so fun. Everything was so chill and we got the chance to learn everything from them and the kids seemed to like these activities a lot."

Two volunteers - smiling at the entry way

Two volunteers - ready to help kids learn!

Two volunteers in front of the bounce house

A volunteer with a bicycle
Volunteers in action with kids 


Volunteer with art supplies - helping a child

Two volunteers and Patty at the entrance of the Peninsula Family YMCA





No comments: