Tuesday, May 28, 2019

SMAS Student Success Story: Misael Turcios


Misael at ESL Graduation Spring 2019
Alt text:  Smiling man in a dark suit
holding a certificate with graduation decor
in the background
From time to time we interview SMAS students to find out how they were able to achieve their goals and create success in their lives and community.

Misael Turcios is a graduate of our ESL program, a businessman, and the former Evening Student Council President (2017-18). Here is our interview with him:


Where are you from and when did you come to the US?

El Salvador.  Came in 2014

When did you start taking classes at SMAS?

I started in 2014

The first time when you don’t know English, I wasn’t sure it was for me.  I started coming one day a week for two hours. I was gone for 6 months then I returned.

Why did you come back?

Because I really realized I needed English to survive - not just to go to Spanish speakers stores but I needed to buy groceries, electronic devices, things like that.

Also, I opened my own business.  A janitorial business - cleaning residential and commercial buildings.

When did you start your business?

In July 2015.

When did you start coming to more SMAS classes?

In 2015.

What level did you start at?

I started at low intermediate.  

You were Student Council President in the Evening.  Can you tell us about that experience?

It helped me to develop better leadership skills.  I like to speak in front of people - but it’s different in English.  It’s totally different.
What did you do?

We organized activities for the school.  We raised money. We went to Sacramento to talk to legislators which was a really great experience.  That was really good. That way you know that the Adult School is not just a building but it needs money, it needs people, it need everything to be working perfectly. Because this is the best school in the whole California.  

What classes are you taking now?

I graduated from ESL. Now I’m in the High School Diploma program.   In a year will graduate. It’s just a matter of being patient. A different transition.  I was in ESL now it’s like I have work a little harder.

What is a favorite memory from your time at San Mateo Adult School?

Doing fundraisers for the fire in Sonoma and the earthquake in Mexico and the hurricane in Puerto Rico.  That was a very special moment. The disasters - they came together. Different countries but almost at the same time.

Do you have new goals?

I like languages.  My goal is to learn Portuguese learning by myself - and also Japanese. I need to go somewhere they teach Japanese.

What has helped you succeed?

The first day that I came… I started with Teacher Melvin and I heard he was talking all in English and I just ran away and he told me, “Hey!  Where you going?” And I said, “I’m goig home, i don’t understand.” He told me, “No. Don’t leave school.” He understood that I was literally leaving school.  He told me, “If you leave now, you’ll never come back.” So that I decided to stay that day.

So I always remember he’s  like a hero for me. If he hadn’t told me that, i wouldn’t have done everything that I have done.

Do you have advice for other students?

Just being patient.   Don’t hurry.

No comments: