Tuesday, April 16, 2019

My Driving Test Experience by Yukari Tokimura

Yukari Tokimura is a student in Distance Learning.  For a special assignment, she wrote about her driving test experience.  Her experience can help you succeed, too!

My Driving Test Experience
by Yukari Tokimura

     Some days ago, I got the driver’s license that is necessary for my life in the U.S.A. At first, I studied the driving rules for the knowledge test. I didn’t have any driving experience in my country, so I was mostly worried about driving before I came to the U.S.A. In addition, the driving rules in America are completely different from the one in Japan. In Japan, we drive on the left, for instance. Thus, I need to learn the California driving rules with the California Driver Handbook on the Internet. Moreover, I answered a lot of questions from past tests on the Internet. On the day of the knowledge test, it was crowded with many people there and they took the knowledge test in each booth like voting. At the beginning of the test, it wasn’t easy to focus on my test, but there was no time limit. Therefore I could calmly answer the questions and finally pass the test.
Next, I made a reservation for a road test right after I passed the knowledge test, but I still waited for a few months, so that I could prepare for it sufficiently. I researched the routes of the road test via the Internet and practiced driving more than 10 times with my husband. I also learned the signs and speed limits. Furthermore, I needed to remember some important traffic words such as intersection and traffic lights. Because I could take the knowledge test in Japanese, but a road test examiner speaks in English. The day finally came. I was nervous since the morning. I checked in at the DMV and I waited for my turn. At first, an examiner asked me some questions such as where is the defroster and hazard button. After that, my examiner got into my car. I was driving about 20 minutes according to her instructions. Even though I learned some important traffic words in my class, I still couldn’t understand a few words. But I tried to concentrate on driving and understanding her instructions. Although my road test wasn’t perfect, I could fortunately pass the test. In order to get a driver’s license, I needed to improve my driving skill and also English, so I appreciate my teachers and the Adult school. Getting a driver’s license gives me a rich life and also this experience enhanced my life in the U.S.A.


No comments: