Saturday, October 13, 2018

2018-19 Evening Student Council President Carlos Diaz' Forum Speech


Evening Student Council President Carlos Diaz shared his story and this fabulous speech at the 2018-19 Evening Candidate Forum.  The next day, he was elected Student Council President of the Evening Student Council.  Here, with his permission, is his wonderful speech.
Evening Student Council President
Carlos Diaz
Alt Text:  Smiling man with
short brown hair in jean jacket

Hello everyone!
My name is Carlos Diaz and I am running for student council President.
I'm from Mexico, more specifically a small town by the name of La Barca, located at the Southeast side of the state of Jalisco. I came to The USA 3 years ago, in August 2015.

I remember how difficult the beginning was, a different country, different people, new neighbors, new neighborhoods, the diversity of cultures and traditions, and the most remarkable thing: English as a new language.

Finding a new job is always a tough part of our lives, and that part increases when we don't know how to speak English, that's why I decided to start learning. Some of my friends told me about San Mateo Adult School, so I came to the Smart Center on 2016  and just signed up. I began at Low Beginning and since then have been studying at this school in the evening time. I am now in the High advanced level, still learning, improving my English and working on my skills.

I haven't run a campaign before. This is my first time running, trying to be the new president elect. I want to work hand-in-hand with all of the student council members; I want to work with all of you guys, listening to your suggestions, your ideas. I want to work not only as a president or member of the student council, I want to be your friend.

I really believe in the importance of adult education. I believe in people like you, like me. People who came from other countries in search of a better life and better opportunities. People have found here at San Mateo Adult School the opportunity to learn English, make and grow networks and be successful.

I want to continue with the legacy of my former colleagues who were presidents and members of the student council.

The promise I make to you is that I will do my best, being your voice, and being your representative, bringing the faith in every place and in every opportunity to talk about how important San Mateo Adult School is.

Please vote for me, Carlos Diaz, to be your Student Council President.

Thank you, Carlos, for sharing your speech and service!

No comments: