Monday, June 4, 2018

Volunteer Spotlight: Chau Nguyen


Do you want to volunteer in the community?  Meet Chau Nguyen!  She is a San Mateo Adult School student and experienced volunteer.  Here is her story and advice:

My name is Chau Nguyen. I am from Vietnam, and I have been living California for one and half years.  The time was not too long, but it made me have a lot of change in my life.

First, I have been studying English in San Mateo Adult School for one year and three months.
SMAS is a great school that I have studied in the U.S. It is a great gift, and a very meaningful gift from the United States to immigrants like me.
 
I love to study in here, love to meet new friends in here, and I love all the teachers and members of this school, they are so friendly and kind. Importantly, I feel grateful that when I get free tuition at this school for one hundred percent.  I do not pay for anything while I am studying in here.
Right now, I am a current student at Jessica Jambruno class, room 22 in the morning.

Second, my English improved a lot during I study in here. In that way, I can able communicate with native speakers in all situations. For example, I can make appointment to see a doctor and go shopping in the mall by myself.
 
Especially, I volunteer in many places. Why do I have to join volunteers?  I want help.
Trail Center Trail Project
My first time volunteered at Trail Center. I joined the trail team and worked in the parks in the Bay Area. I like to volunteer in there because the atmosphere in the forest make me really relax, and it is good for my health.  



Chau volunteering with the Trail Center.
Alt:  Woman in cap with pickaxe

People in there are so friendly, funny, and I am happy when I volunteer with them. Importantly, I have new friends, practice English and close to nature . Trail Center regularly work two times a month.

My second time at Hiller Aviation Museum in the 2nd Annual Airport Runway Run. I was a provider water for runners. That was  also fun and healthy event. I enjoyed it.
Chau volunteering
at the Hiller
Alt:  Woman in green tshirt,
thumbs up!

 
And another event such as: the Blossom Birth & Family Fair event  at Mitchell Park Community Center in Palo Alto on May 6.Blossom, the local community-based organization that provides resources and support for pregnancy, birth, and parenthood, is hosting its 13th annual Birth & Family Fair. I joined the event as a volunteer, and I think it is very educational.




Chau volunteering at the Children's Champions event.
Alt:  Chau smiling at a table, helping others.
The Children’s Champions event on May 19 at Menlo College in Atherton. Volunteering in here, I knew the skills to play with children.

 
How did you get started as a volunteer? I searched the information on the internet. I found the website : Volunteermatch which is  search volunteer opportunities. VolunteerMatch is the website to find volunteer information and listings in your local area.
I always encourage my friends to volunteer when they have a free time. Some of them joined with me such as: Jenny ( room 22) morning class, Jackie( room 21) morning class, Thanh Nguyen( room 20) afternoon class, and Cindy Lu ( room 41) afternoon class.

Volunteers is a very rewarding job for everybody. Volunteers help people to get closer. Although we are not paid, but we can build our kindness through helping others. And we will feel happy for anytime we done some good things for other people.
 
Helping people, helping the community is also helping us.
 
Thank you, Chau, for sharing your story as a volunteer.  Your action inspires others to take action!
 
 
 





No comments: