Sunday, April 8, 2018

Student Leader Jackie's Presentation at COABE National Conference

In March, SMAS Student Leaders, Student Council President Wendy Samayoa and Vice President Jackie Euna Lheureux, along with Teacher Stephanie Kriebel, attended and presented at the National COABE - Coalition on Adult Basic Education - Conference.  People came from all the country to attend this conference in Arizona.
Wendy, Stephanie, and Jackie at the conference




It is a big honor for our school that the SMAS Team was accepted to present a workshop. 
It is also a big gift for everyone who cares about Adult Education to hear the voices of Adult Learners in the conversation about how to have the best Adult Education possible.  

With her permission, here is information from Jackie about her journey as an Adult Learner:

Hi everyone ~~My name is Jackie Euna Lheureux and I'm a student council. Las month I went to conference of COABE in Phoenix Arizona with students council adviser teacher Stephanie Kriebel and Wendy Paola for Adult Education. We had presentation 1 hour 20 minutes about San Mateo Adult School, and also each person had speech of "who am I ? This was my story at the conference.


Jackie presenting at the conference

My name is Jackie Euna Lheureux . I would like introduce of myself. I was born in 1965 in Seoul South Korea. I have been living in the U.S. for two years. When I lived in my country, I worked at a bank for 25 years. I have two daughters, and I was a single mom. I decided to come to the U.S to find a better life and to start second life with my daughter who was living here.


It was not easy for me to move to another country because I didn't have any experience to live another, and I couldn't speak English. I studied English when I was in middle school and high school, but I couldn't study English anymore after that, and also I didn't use anywhere. So when I came to the U.S , I became like kid just like baby. I didn't know lifestyle, I couldn't understand natives speakers speaking. I panicked and frustrated with the English language, so I stayed at home almost one month, and I thought ,"What can I do ? This is my second life and I can't go back." I didn't want to give up. I decided to study English, but "Where am I go? I couldn't go to college because my English level was very low, and I couldn't go to kindergarten.

Finally I found San Mateo Adult School, and it was free afford . To me ,It was amazing and I couldn't believe it ! I started intermediate low class in San Mateo Adult School, and I continued study for two years. Also I learned many cultures of think, such as history, lifestyle, volunteering and setting goals. I'm a slow learner but I could reach my goals step by step because right now I can speak English.

I have a another dream to become a florist one day. I can't imagine living in the U.S without Adult Education. That is just like living in the desert without water. Thank you for Adult Education and I felt very confidence in my American life. I can't imagine living in the U.S without Adult Education. That's just like living in the desert without water. Thanks to you . Adult Education gave hope to so many immigrants who want to succeed in this country. One day we will give back. Thank you so much.





No comments: