Sunday, October 22, 2017

Cissie West: A Student to SMAS Staff Success Story


Adult Ed Works!  A Student to SMAS Staff Success Story

Cissie at her desk in the SMART Center
Did you know that several SMAS staff members are former SMAS students?  How did they go from student to staff?  Teacher Cynthia sat down with one of these success stories, Cissie West, to find out.  You might know Cissie - she works at the front desk of our school in the afternoon, welcoming everyone who walks in the door, answering questions, answering the phone, and making sure newcomers know where to go.



What class did you take at our school?

Diane’s class - Office skills in 2002 or 2003.  I was in the class for a year.

(This class is now called "Modern Office Technology."  If you follow the guidelines, you can get college credit for it.  Learn more here.)

When did you start working at our school?

I was hired in 2004.

What do you do at our school?

My first position was working for Judy Teitler.  She was the head of the Fifty Plus program - for Older Adults.  I was her assistant.  Then I worked for Lynda Mathe, then Jeri - who is the head of the Fifty Plus program now.  And now I’m at the front desk.

What is the name of your position now?

Classified Office 1.

When you started working at our school, had you worked in an office before?  

Yes, I managed a tire company and a countertop company.

Why did you take Diane’s class?   

After 13 years of all the other jobs, I needed to relearn things.  When you work in an office, you have to know more, like spreadsheets.  Computers were getting more popular.  When I was working in the countertop store, it was working with paper and graphs.  I designed kitchen and baths.  I went from the countertop to the tire company.  The companies closed and that’s why I left both of them.  I worked at both the tire company and SMAS for a while.  

I had to update my brain cells.  Diane helped me so much.  Writing on paper is one thing.  Being able to do spreadsheets and write emails in a professional manner... That’s another!

Do you have any advice for other people who have who have been laid off or lost their job?

Go see Diane.  I’m telling you - she is great!   Nowadays a lot of office work is needed.  You learn everything in Diane’s class.  It’s the perfect class for anybody.  Even people opening up their own business.  You learn quickbooks.  So you can learn to manage your book for your own company.

What do you like about working at the adult school?

The people, the ones who want to learn.  

It’s a challenge for me, too.  It makes me want to learn a second language now.

Thank you, Cissie, for sharing some of your story with us.  Your advice can help other people who have lost their job or are looking for a new or better job.  You remind us, Adult Education Matters!  Adult Ed Works!


No comments: