Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Success Story: Mohulamu Tau


Mohulamu Tau accepting his diploma

Mohulamu Tau recently graduated with a High School Diploma from San Mateo Adult School.  He was one of the speakers at the graduation.  Here, with his permission, is his speech. 


Graduation


            Good evening family and friends of the San Mateo Adult School Class of 2017. I would like to thank you all for joining us tonight as we celebrate our accomplishments and the beginning of the next chapter of our lives. There has been many times where I’ve been asked “what does Adult School mean to me?” Adult School may not be important to others, but it is a program that has changed my life. This program has been so much more than school to me. “Another Chance” I would think to myself. Ever since I have met Mr. T, Ms. Carlota, and Mrs. Thompson, I came to realize that Adult School is more than just another chance; it was my opportunity to prove all those who doubted me wrong, and to show that nothing could stop me. Thank you to you all at the Adult School who has opened my eyes to see the bigger picture. It was the push that we needed to remind us that we have a purpose in this world, and that we must work hard to find it. Each of us here in this program has faced trials that have steered us away from our educational paths, but we are here today to show that we are able to continue. We all come from different struggles and lifestyles, but we are here before you to show that it is never too late to continue your education.

            Before this program I attended Aragon and Peninsula High School. The challenges I faced had limited my time at these schools, but without these challenges I would not have been able to be standing here before you tonight. Since I was a kid, I knew I would be attending Aragon once I reached High School. My two older brothers and many other relatives had graduated from there, so it was only right that I had followed suit. It was something that I’ve imagined my whole life, playing football for Coach Sell and becoming an Aragon graduate. Making the Varsity football team was the highlight of my freshmen year but unfortunately, during my sophomore year; school was not a priority to me. I slacked off so much that eventually Peninsula High School was my next destination. Getting sent to Peninsula my junior year really helped me get back on track. My main goal was to get back on that football field. That is all I wanted to do, play football. The staff at Peninsula encouraged me to do my work and achieve my goals, to attend Aragon once again and finish my senior year off strong graduating an Aragon Don.

Sad to say, my senior year did not go as planned. In the beginning of the school year my family received devastating news that one of my brothers were missing. A day later, a day before his 25th birthday, we were given the news that my brother Tani has passed away. It was a pain that I was incapable of dealing with. It numbed my body to the bone. People will say to “use the incident as motivation” but it was harder said than done. For a short period of time, I had lost all motivation for school. The loss had taken its toll on me and my mind was not in the right place. Once I was back into school for a couple days, I was given the choice to stay at Aragon or go back to Peninsula to finish off the school year. Since I was unable to play again I made my decision to go back to Peninsula High School where I had continued to slack off and eventually dropped out of school. I didn’t think I was ever going to have the drive to want to go back to school. However, because of Mr. T, I began to have hope once again.

Mr. T and the SMAS Team
            At first, I was skeptical about Adult school. As you would expect, Mr. T is a very convincing man. Once he got my number he became a best friend, a mentor and a motivator. He would always call just to check up on me and continues to until this day. The love and support I received made me want to accomplish so much more. I love you Mr. T and don’t you ever forget that!

Coming to Adult school was one of the best decisions I have made. I want to take this time to show my love and appreciation to a very special woman in my life. She is the one that pushed me the hardest to get my work done, the one that did not ever give up on me even when I gave up on myself. Arianna, I would not be up here if it weren’t for you. From keeping me from going out with all the boys to dragging me to the library for a couple hours even if you didn’t have homework to do. You are always thinking about not only what is best for you but, what’s best for the both of us. Standing up here tonight is one example of “our” hard work. I love you and thank you for everything you do for us. To ALL my family and friends, especially Toa, Vaasi, Gabe, Carolyn, Andria, and Papa thank you for being there for me through all the ups and downs and never turning your back on me. To ALL my other brothers, nothing changed. Staying solid, the way we were raised. To my brother and everyone watching from above, I love you guys and keep guiding me in the right direction. Last but not least to the woman who brought me into this world, I love you so much mom. You do more than enough not only for my siblings and I, but for every persons lives you come apart of. In the words of Tupac “there’s no way that I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that I understand: you are appreciated.” Thank you.

Congratulations, Mohulamu, for overcoming obstacles and reaching success.  You inspire us!

The Class of 2017

Mohulamu Tau


No comments: