Friday, July 21, 2017

Ayako's Story: Success & Gratitude


Ayako Ueda during Adult Ed Week 2016
Ayako Ueda was an ESL student at our school.  Recently, she returned to her home country, Japan.  Because of what she learned at our school, she is experiencing new success.  Here, with her permission, is her story.



I am happy to share my good news that I got a full-time job at a tour company in Japan which I really wanted to work for. I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to my teachers and friends in San Mateo Adult School. Without your encouragement, I wouldn’t have come this far.



The biggest gift I have received from the school is the courage to try new things. I used to give up before trying by finding many excuses, such as “I am not qualified because I am not good enough”, or “I am too old for that”.



However, from my experience, I find this phrase true: “You never know what you can do until you try.” It is very scary to try something new, but it worth it.



In addition, SMAS helped me in practical ways too.

- “Setting ones goal” activity in the morning class clarified my future goal.

- Because of their encouragement, I took college classes and found out about the opportunity in this company.

 -Speaking practice in the afternoon conversation class enabled me to perform well in the interview. (Even in my language!)

This is the first step to reach my ultimate goal. I am excited to see what will come next. Finally, I would like to say to my fellow students. “Don’t limit yourself. You can do more than you think you can.” Thank you.





No comments: