Wednesday, May 24, 2017

SMAS Makes Global Positive Impact

A big thank you to former SMAS student and volunteer Ayako Ueda for sharing this powerful report.

SMAS is impacting the world!

Hi everyone! I am Ayako Ueda, a former student who returned to Japan three weeks ago, after studying at SMAS for two years. It was very sad to leave this wonderful school, but I am happy now because I have found strong connections between former SMAS students who live in my county.


Ayako and Nami in Japan
Teacher Vasyl introduced me to his former student Nami, who studied at SMAS more than 20 years ago. She shared her experiences of trying to find a way to use her English skills in Japan. She has been helping me to find my future path by providing her rich resources, such as information on volunteering opportunities, international friendship groups, and career options. I think it is a great idea to build a SMAS network even outside of the US because we can help each other by sharing our experiences.

Two days after meeting Nami, I had a surprising encounter. I took an English cooking class in Tokyo, and I met another SMAS student, Terue, who attended this school 15 years ago. We became friends immediately, of course. She worked as a coordinator for student exchange programs until recently, and when she noticed I was interested, she even gave me the contact of her former office.

It is a small world, in a good way. The experience at SMAS gives a life-time impact on many students. It opens our heart to the world, and then we seek for our dreams to contribute to the world in different places, even long after leaving the school.

Terue asked me, “Do you know the phrase posted in Room 20?” I answered, “Of course! It’s my favorite. You never know what you can do until you try!” She said, “That phrase have helped me a lot. So I share it with my exchange students to encourage them when they leave for their host countries.”

Yes, SMAS is making a huge impact on the world.

 

 

 

 

No comments: