Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Learner to Earner: Roberto Ramirez


SMAS Student Roberto Ramirez recently transitioned from our school to a job in San Francisco.  I asked him to share a bit about his journey at our school and what helped him reach his goals.  Here is his story. 

Roberto Ramirez
Starting A New Life

My name is Roberto Ramirez and I­’m from Salamanca, Mexico.  I moved to California one year and ten months ago. To start a new life here in the U.S. was a difficult process for me, first, because of the language barrier and second, because you need a license to work as an Orthodontist in the United States, which makes it hard to find a job.


San Mateo Adult School
I started to study English as a Second Language at the San Mateo Adult School exactly one year ago. As a full time student, I took morning and afternoon classes and I had the chance to collaborate as a student ambassador, a student representative for the student council and as an active member in the lunch bunch club. All these extra activities helped me to face the overwhelming stress of learning a new language, meeting new people and feeling integrated in a new society.


Setting and Achieving Goals

Improving my English skills to get a job was definitely also one of my main goals.  I took job search classes and I learned to be more confident and learned about the process to get a job.  Finally, I finished school and I got a job in a community dental clinic as a Dental Assistant.  Right now I'm taking some courses to get licensed as a Registered Dental Assistant in California.
 
Perseverance and Focus

I think as an ESL student you need to persevere and be constantly focused on achieving your personal goals. As a professional in the medical or dental fields, you need to understand that in the U. S., it is not easy to get a job without a license and in order to get the license you need to have enough money to pay for an International Program at a university. If this option is not for you, you need to be flexible and open to getting a similar job or position; the important thing is to get your foot in the door.

No comments: