Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Learner to Earner: Eriko Harada

As San Mateo Adult School Students gain knowledge, skills, and confidence, they join the work force, advance in their jobs, and engage in volunteer work.  The Learner to Earner page on the San Mateo Adult School website is about their success.  Here's another story in the series, told by Eriko Harada, in her own words.


I am a nurse in Japan and moved here almost five years ago for my husband’s job. I have several years of clinical experience as a nurse in my country. I wanted to keep my career going so I was hoping to take The National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurse in someday. When we settled down in our new place, I realized that I really needed to improve my English before thinking about the exam. I could not make a phone call, did not understand what I was asking at the restaurant, and had difficulty filling out some forms. I encountered so many problems through my daily life.

Meanwhile I found the Distance Learning program at San Mateo Adult School. That was convenient for me as a stay-at-home mom and I started learning everyday English with Teacher Cynthia. She has helped me a lot not only with the English language, but also living and raising children in the U.S.A. I attended Distance learning for two years before I felt ready to add studying for the license exam.  For the next two years, I studied for the exam by myself while continuing Distance Learning. 

Last year I passed the exam and received the RN license in California. A few months after that, I was hired as a part-time nurse in a private clinic in San Mateo. Now I use both English and Japanese at my work. I am also serving as a member of Community Emergency Response Team in Foster City. 


I thank all my friends and family who have supported me and the teachers at San Mateo Adult School, especially Teacher Cynthia and Teacher Jay. I could not reach this achievement without their support.

My study of English and Nursing will never end. I am not sure how long I will  live in the U.S.A., but no matter where I live, I would like to continue my profession.

No comments: