Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Essay Contest Writer: Coming Back To School

We celebrated Adult Ed Week 2015 in many ways.  Many ESL students wrote essays for an essay contest.  The topic of the contest was "I am an Adult School Student and This is My Story."  The essays were wonderful.  

Here, with the permission of the author (who prefers to remain anonymous), is one of them:


I'm an Adult School Student and This is My Story

My name is ---------.  I'm from Morocco.  I'm married, and I have four kids, one boy and three girls.  I finished my College studies in Morocco, and my father opened a small business with my sister.  It is called, "Pub Way."  We designed brochures and many other things.

When I came to the U.S. I lived in San Francisco, and I worked as a hostess at an Italian restaurant in the Fisherman's Wharf area.  After I started working there I got pregnant and I stopped working and I stayed home to take care of my kids.

When they grew up I came back to the Adult School in San Mateo to improve my English.  This will help me with many things in my life, first with my family and second to help me with outside communication. 

When I first came to Adult School I passed the test and they put me to High Intermediate, that was my first semester (2014-2015). 

Now I'm studying in a low Advance class.  So far I feel I'm learning a lot.  I communicate with my classmates who are from different countries around the world.  Our teacher is wonderful and helpful.  I love this class.

I hope the next semester will be as good and productive as this.


No comments: