Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In Memoriam - Martin Doerner

Today the flag flies at half mast in honor of Teacher Martin Doerner who passed away this morning, May 3, 2011, National Teachers Day.

Martin was a dedicated and caring teacher. He taught at the Day Labor Center as well as on site at the Adult School. He was the powerhouse behind the Passport to Employment program - special classes to help students find jobs and career success.

He knew the power of working hard to reach goals, never giving up, doing your very best, and sharing what you know with others.

There is a saying, "If you want to feed a man for a day, give him a fish. If you want him to eat every day, teach him how to fish."

Martin understood and lived that saying.

He was a success not only in his career but in helping others find success in theirs.

If the best way to measure a teacher's success is to measure the student's, then Martin's measure is large.

Thank you, Martin, for all you gave to the Adult School - both students and staff.






7 comments:

Judy Hewitt said...

Thanks, Cynthia. I've known Martin and his family my entire life but lost touch with him after high school. All of his friends that knew him from Muskogee, Oklahoma, are mourning him tonight.

Anonymous said...

He was the most amazing uncle a niece could ask for. an inspiration to me and could always make me smile. i'll never forget him. i love you uncle martin.

Judy Hewitt said...

Cynthia, thank you for your kind words about Martin. We grew up together in Muskogee, Oklahoma. He will be missed by all of us.

A-Kui's Kitchen 阿桂的灶咖 said...

Thank you Cynthia, Martin had been a very good friend who had helped me a lot in Day Labor Center as well as in SFSU... I was his classmate and he taught me a lot.... I really miss him.

Anonymous said...

Dear Martin has been a great light in our community. Martin was a true educator: his teaching catalyzed personal development in all of his students and colleagues. All of us who knew Martin have been nourished by his full and gentle heart, inspired by his keen intellect, and uplifted by his wit and his wisdom. Martin was on the selection committee that reviewed my application to teach at San Mateo Adult School; he had some responsibility, then, for my first employment as an ESL teacher—a deeply fulfilling experience. During my years at SMAS, Martin gave me counsel that has continued to inform my teaching practice to this day.

Martin, I am grateful for your support and mentoring. I will always treasure your friendship. Martin, I know that for your compassion and for all of your many contributions to the welfare of our community, you now enjoy union with the infinite bliss of the Divine.

With love,

Bruce Smith

James Waters said...

Grief can be so hard, but our special memories help us cope. Martin was a special friend, and will be surely missed. My sympathy to the Doerner family, friends, and all the people there whose lives he touched. .... Jimmy waters

Adam said...

Martin Doerner was my finest professional mentor. He saw potential in my work and had the generosity of time and spirit to teach me how to manage, communicate, and inspire at a high level. Martin was one of the finest people I have ever had the honor to work with. His integrity, his judgment, and his spectacular skill set made him unique in my career. I will always love and respect my friend and mentor, Martin Doerner. And I will miss you.