Monday, March 29, 2010

From The Heart

San Mateo Adult School student Li knows it is very important to speak up now. More cuts to education - to our school and all schools - are possible. She has written a letter to Senator Leland Yee about how SMAS has helped her.

Here, with her permission, is her letter:


The Honorable Senator Leland Yee,

My name is Li and I come from China. I write this letter just to let you know how much I deeply appreciate the San Mateo Adult School from my heart. It has changed my life.
A few years ago, when I came to the USA, I couldn’t speak any English. I couldn’t help my kids with their school work or get involved at their school at all. I couldn’t see the doctor by myself. I didn’t have any entertainment. When my children and I needed to see a doctor, my husband had to take the day off to take us to see a doctor. When my husband or someone asked me to go to a movie, I couldn’t go, because I didn’t speak English and didn’t understand English. But the San Mateo Adult School helped me. I learned to talk, read, and write English at the Adult School. Now I can go to movies; I can see my doctor by myself; I can volunteer at my kid’s school; I can help our community; and I can do a better job when I teach Chinese to children in the US.
So, I like the adult school. I think it is very important for us, and very important for our community.

Yours Sincerely,

Li

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see we have a champion in Senator Yee who has been fighting the cuts to education: http://dist08.casen.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_PR&SEC={EFA496BC-EDC8-4E38-9CC7-68D37AC03DFF}&DE={5526CF30-E17D-4954-9DE0-B9FEECA9A62F}