Sunday, August 16, 2020

Farewell and Happy Retirement, Nita Jackson-Allen

After many years of serving San Mateo Adult School at the front desk of the SMART Center, answering phones, greeting students and staff, and being that first face of the morning, Nita Jackson-Allen is retiring.  We're going to miss her kindness, caring competency, and community spirit.  
Three people smiling at desks in the SMART Center


I asked Nita to answer a few questions about her time at SMAS and plans for the future.

How long have you worked at SMAS?

August 9th is 20 years

What did you do before you worked at SMAS?

I worked for a private school for 13 years, Eastern Airlines & airfreight prior.

Did you always work at the front desk?

I was at the desk across from Gloria at first , I remember thinking I wanted to be up front to welcome & help in any way.

What do you remember from when you first started?

What a hidden secret this amazing school is.  Students were lined up outside of the building,  we had a whiteboard in the lobby listing all the closed/full/waitlisted classes for vocational.  It was crazy busy.

How has the school changed?

More team work & better communication, as we all work together so well.

What are your favorite memories of working at SMAS?

So many it's hard to begin, it has truly been my second family.  I get emotional trying to put it into words. I love the connection I have had with students year in and out, greeting them by first names, knowing the returning students &  what they are interested in before they even express their thoughts (In other words i've been here so long I can usually read their minds)

I need to say THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES......they make my heart smile.

What are you looking forward to in your retirement?

No alarm clock
No commute
Spending more quality time being a Wife, Mom,YaYa (2 amazing grandbabies, Sakai is 11 & Natalia is 5 months).  Enjoying time with FAMILY.

I already miss everyone!
xoxo
Nita Jackson-Allen

Nita, we're going to miss you, too!  And we wish you a happy, healthy, and fulfilling retirement!  

No comments: