Tuesday, July 14, 2020

In Memoriam: Ms. Shaina Thompson

Snapshots of Ms Thompson

Shaina Thompson was a beloved teacher at the San Mateo Adult School for over twenty years.  She taught primarily in the GED and HIgh School Diploma programs.  Tragically, she passed away this summer, not long after her husband.  The SMAS community misses her dearly and remembers her here with these tributes:

From SMAS Director Tim Doyle

“Because I have been at the Adult School for 32 years, I have known Shaina for the whole 24 or so years she worked here.  This despite the fact that we worked primarily in different programs, Shaina in High School Equivalency and I in English as a Second Language.  Shaina is one of those people who stand out in one’s life because she is unique; there is only one Shaina.  She was incredibly nurturing for concurrent high school students who had given up on themselves as ever being a student.  She got them to dig into themselves and take their lives seriously and that they had lives of value.  Shaina even managed to drag some writing out of the most resistant and for some it was a revelation to put words to paper.  They went on to write compelling stories about their lives and struggles.” 


From SMAS Teacher Carolyn Pannu
Teacher Carolyn and Ms. Thompson

“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."  What a generous and tender heart Shaina had!! 






From SMAS Teacher and CFT Local 4681 President David Doneff:
“Shaina had a brilliant mind and taught with a big heart. She gave a lot of herself for her students. She is missed by her students and colleagues.”


 From SMAS Alum Cristina Munoz Ulrich

Ms. Thompson and SMAS Alum
Cristina Munoz Ulrich
“I want to say that teacher Shaina was an excellent teacher, kind, motivator, good listener, and supportive. Particularly she helped me to get better on my reading, and writing skills. When I had any concerns about the subjects we were learning she always offered her help.
On the other hand, she always encouraged us to participate and spend time in any holding celebration we had at school. She was happy seeing us together and spending quality time in class.
I would like to add to say that Teacher Shaina loved her daughter and grandchildren. Sometimes when I spoke to her, she always said that her grandchildren were her life and she loved taking care of them”. 


From SMAS Teacher Cynthia Eagleton

“I loved Shaina’s combination of fierceness and tenderness.  I knew I could be real with her and that she would be real with me. She was not afraid of the real. She knew that only in the real - our beauty, our brokenness, our frailty, our power - can we find real growth and redemption. I miss her.”

From SMAS Teacher Laetitia Bordes

"Shaina - a woman of courage and dedication"

From SMAS Teacher Mary Weng

Teacher Mary
and Ms. Thompson
Shaina was a very creative and artistic lady.  She created beautiful pink pearl necklaces for my daughters, Diana and Lizzy.  They love Shaina's warmth and charisma.  They treasure their special necklaces.  

I always enjoyed our interesting and funny conversations.  She always gave me something to think about and reflect upon.  I will miss her personal style and humor.


From SMAS Student Edy Vasquez

Ms. Thompson and her husband
Ms Thompson was a good teacher. The time that I studied on her program I learned a lot. Now God has on his hands, but I miss a lot her classes. Thank you, Ms Thompson.

God help Ms. Thompson's family. They need you now; only you can help everyone, especially in hard times like now. Thank you God for everything a man!









No comments: