Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Welcome New SMAS Director Ms. Taylor!

New SMAS Director
Ms. Angela Taylor

Meet Our New Director, Ms. Angela Taylor!

After three years as Director and thirty two years at our school, SMAS Director Tim Doyle is retiring. We are sad to say farewell - but delighted to welcome new Director Ms. Angela Taylor.  

I sat down in a Zoom with Ms. Taylor to get to know her better.  Here’s what I learned:

About Ms. Taylor

Where did you grow up?

I am a native Detroiter; born and raised. Growing up in Detroit was filled with excitement, adventure and wonder. My parents kept my sister and I active with ice skating lessons, swimming, gymnastics, sports, you name it we did it. When I was 14, I took my first trip to the Bay Area and immediately fell in love with UC Berkeley and the surrounding community. I am a hippie at heart and found my dream place in California.  I decided at that point that I wanted to move to California,  and attend UC Berkeley, and I did just that. My commitment, hardwork and dedication to my studies paved the way to attaining my dream goal. After graduating from Our Lady of Mercy High School,  I packed my bags and flew with my parents to Berkeley.

I proudly come from a family with over 4 generations of educators. My parents were public school educators.  My father was a Dean at Cody High School and a Professor of International Economics at Wayne County Community College. My mother was a high school Latin and English teacher at Northwestern High School.  

My paternal great-great-grandmother, on the African American side of my family, taught school in rural Mississippi, in the late 1800’s. She walked 10 miles a day to teach at the school house, while also raising a family of 11 children with my great-great grandfather. Many of her children would also become educators. 

When you were a student, what was your favorite thing about school?

My parents, an inter-racial couple living in Detroit Michigan, made a conscientious decision to find a nurturing, diverse and welcoming educational environment for me and my sister. And they found that in the Detroit Waldorf school. I attended Waldorf from Kindergarten through 10th grade, when the high school was forced to close.  

School was magical - I loved school - loved everything about it. Waldorf philosophy has an integrated, holistic approach to education. It focuses on the individual person, her mind and spirit, and fosters her unique intrinsic capabilities. It made me what and who I am today.   I learned to love learning, to appreciate people, grow life-long friendships, enjoy the arts, and respect the earth and environment.  I wasn't given textbooks in school, I learned how to create my own.  I made art and played the violin in the orchestra.  I once played the shrew,  in Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. I am so very fortunate and grateful for my Waldorf education. It not only prepared academically, but also for life. 

What languages did you study?

French and German.  I studied German for many years, almost 14 years, including the first few years of college. I was in the German Honor Society in High School. I have also traveled and studied in Germany. Unfortunately, as they say, “if you don’t use it you lose it.”  I am no longer fluent.

My father was one of the first African Americans to join the Peace Corps in the 1960s. He was posted in Panama and had the opportunity to travel to 13 different Latin American countries.  He learned and spoke fluent Spanish.  I speak  “un poco” Spanish (smile).  Because of my father, Latin american culture was an integral part of my life.  I traveled to Panama at age 13 to attend a Peace Corps reunion with my family.  My sister studied Spanish and speaks it fluently. She currently works as a senior attorney for USAID at the US Embassy in El Salvador. She is married to a Salvadoran and they live in El Salvador with my amazing niece Olivia.

What do you like to do for fun and relaxation?

I love adventure; taking hikes, exploring beautiful California, great conversation and amazing restaurants. I am a bit of a foodie!
I love to swim and be in water.  
I love music, and watching movies with my two sons. 
I love traveling, both domestically and internationally. I have visited 13 different countries.   
My family and friends are a vital part of my life.  I am very social and love peoples’ energy. 
Lastly, I have to admit, one of my guilty pleasures that I truly enjoy is watching Judge Judy!

About Adult Ed

What sort of work did you do before now? 

When I was an undergrad, I wanted to study law and become a criminal defense attorney. My path, however, led me to a corporate career. Coincidentally, things changed in my life and I was redirected to the criminal law field, but from an educational perspective. This was a transformative experience because unbeknownst to me, I would find my true passion; and that was the field of education and teaching. 

In 2008 I was hired as a substitute teacher for the Contra Costa County Office of Education, Parolee Education Program. I worked with incarcerated and formerly incarcerated both inside many northern California jails as well as parole offices.  I taught ESL, substance abuse education, and primarily GED.  In 2012, I accepted a full time teaching position at the Oakland Parole Office and in 2016, I won teacher of the year for my work at the Contra Costa County Office of Ed for the Parolee Program.

As my passion grew, I decided I wanted to develop as an administrator and I went back to school to pursue a Master degree and administrative credential.  I was assistant principal at Oakland Technical High School for one year and then I accepted an offer as principal at Oakland Adult and Career Education where I have been for the past two years. Working in Oakland was a rewarding experience. I love Oakland. 


What do you like about working in Adult Ed?

I love Adult Education and have been committed to it for the past 12 years.

Interestingly enough, I never considered education as a career option until my life’s path led me to the Parolee Program.  I had never taught, until the CCOE Parolee Education Program. Something incredible happened when this opportunity presented itself. Something so foreign in a way, came so naturally to me; teaching. My ancestors, and their legacy in education became enlightened within me.

My mother always taught me about the importance of purpose; having a purpose, being purposeful in one's life. I realized, working in Adult Education was my purpose. Not only that, I witnessed the invaluable purpose Adult Ed serves for people. It’s priceless.

Inequities exist that can hinder one's evolution and achievements. I realized that I didn’t have to become an attorney to fight against injustice, I could also accomplish that through teaching. I can be that force that helps equip people with the educational tools they need to uplift themselves, to progress forward, to support themselves and their families, to achieve their goals, to  find and fulfill their purpose. That is what Adult Education does, it gives purpose. It transforms lives by providing access to the tools needed to empower individuals. 

To witness an ex-felon,  one who had served a 25 year sentence, be released from prison only to go on to graduate from Cal State East Bay with a Bachelor’s degree and now on to his masters’ is the one of the most empowering experiences I have ever had in teaching.  
That is what Adult Education does. 

What are you looking forward to in joining the SMAS team?


I am so excited about joining the SMAS team because I feel connected to the county and the school. I developed a fondness and appreciation for San Mateo county many years ago after working for the Achieve 180 - Second Chance program in Redwood City. I became acquainted with the county agencies, mental health, the sheriff's department, community partners, etc. I connected to the county on many levels. 

I respect SMAS and what it represents. The investment in the students, and community, the quality programming, and vast offerings to meet the needs of a diverse student body is commendable. I also admire SMAS’s mission, vision and commitment; it aligns to my very own. I once attended an ESL City Government Academy presentation by students in southern California - and was beyond impressed.  

I am thrilled to be a part of this wonderful agency and am looking forward to working together. 


Is there something special you’d like our community to know about you or what you hope to bring to SMAS? 

Humanity; appreciating our differences, learning from each other and focusing on the good and positive aspects of folks reflects my values as a person.  I hope to bring an inspiring and kind energy, one that fosters collaboration, positivity and innovation. I hope to grow together with SMAS, to continue to provide the excellent programs and educational opportunities that you all have created. 

I will bring a support and commitment to the staff and students. My commitment to you and what we do as educators extends beyond just a job and title, it is something I hold dear to my heart, something I respect, honor and  cherish. I will be the leader that keeps the student at the center,  while always supporting and upholding my staff. I may not always have the answer but I, and together with my team, will find it.

For the first time in our recent history, we are faced with not only a lethal pandemic, but the horrors of existing systemic racial injustice in our society. We as educators hold the key to transforming lives, to overcoming injustice and empowering people to be their best selves. - this journey  is something I look so forward to taking, and I look forward to taking it together.


Welcome, Ms. Taylor! We are excited to take next steps forward together with you!








No comments: