Sunday, June 3, 2018

Student Ambassador Spotlight: Wendy Samyayoa

The Student Ambassador Program is a volunteer opportunity for students. Students Ambassadors practice their English skills, welcome new students, provide campus tours, learn and use office/ workforce readiness skills, and represent SMAS at community events.  Learn more about the SMAS Student Ambassador program here.


Here is an interview with Student Ambassador Wendy Samayoa:

Wendy Samayoa
Alt text:   Smiling photo of woman with long brown hair

Tell us a little bit about yourself!


Hi, my name is Wendy Samayoa and I’m from Guatemala. Choosing to return to school was a hard decision that changed my life. In Guatemala I had already graduated from high school and university and was working as a teacher when I came to the USA and decided to start over and study.

How long have you been a student at the San Mateo Adult School Student?


For a little over a year and a half.  I started in August 2016, as a High Intermediate ESL student.

What made you decide to participate in the Student Ambassador Program?


I decided to be a Student Ambassador because when I arrived at the San Mateo Adult School for ESL orientation I felt lost, and afraid. Even though, there were staff who tested me, and showed me where my room was, I still had many doubts and fears. I also did not  know how to express myself correctly, so I didn’t ask any questions. In result of this experience I wanted to give  incoming new students feel more at ease. I was also encouraged by my Teacher Jessica Giambruno, who told my that I had many qualities that would make me a great Student Ambassador.

What was the highlight?


    The highlight has been giving back to the school and helping new students so that they would not feel the same way I felt when I first came, alone and afraid.

What advice would you have for someone who is interested in becoming a Student Ambassador?


    If you would like to give back to the school and want to be part of a program that assist in helping new students feel welcome, then you should join our program. This school has given me so much, so being able to work together with my fellow ambassadors to makes new students feel more comfortable not only during but also after the orientation process means a lot to me.

What’s next for you?


My short term goals are continue to improve my English skills, and to go to community college next year. My long term goal is to be a Teacher in this country.

No comments: